212(c) Waivers

Have you been placed in removal proceedings because you were convicted of a criminal offense in the distant past?

If you are a legal permanent residence of the United States and have been placed in removal proceedings due to criminal activity, you could seek a waiver of your convictions and avoid deportation. Your eligibility to apply for a waiver is based on the type of crime you committed and the date on which you were convicted. Certain lawful permanent residents can apply for discretionary relief under section 212(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

The requirements to apply for and receive a 212c waiver include:

    •   You pled guilty to the crime prior to April 1, 1997
  •     •   You have been a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years
  •     •   You are returning to a lawful, unrelinquished residence of at least 7 consecutive years
  •     •   You are not subject to deportation or removal on the grounds of terrorism or national security
  •     •   You are not unlawfully in the US due to a previous immigration offense
  •     •   You have not been convicted of a firearms offense or an aggravated felony offense for which you served over 5 years

You are ineligible to receive a 212c waiver if you have departed and are currently outside the US, you have illegally returned after deportation or removal, or you are present in the US without having been admitted or paroled.

It is important to note that the 212c waiver is a discretionary. Therefore, even if you are eligible to apply for a 212c waiver, the Immigration Judge will decide on a case-by-case basis whether or not to grant you this relief. The Judge will look closely at the balance of positive factors versus negative factors in your application. Positive factors include family ties in the US, long time residence in the US, hardship to you and your family if you were deported, property ownership, business ties, demonstrated value and service to the community, genuine rehabilitation and evidence that you are person of good character Negative factors can include the nature, seriousness and recency of your criminal record and evidence that you are a person of bad moral character.

Before filing an application for relief through the 212c waiver you should consult an experienced immigration attorney about your case.

Free Consultation